When most people think about surgical breast enhancement, they typically envision breast enlargement surgery. While many women with small or asymmetrical breasts seek to improve their bustline with implants, there are also many women who wish to reduce or reposition their breasts without adding extra volume.
If you are unsatisfied with your overly-large or noticeably-sagging breasts, you may be wondering whether a breast reduction or breast lift is right for you. Read on to learn about the advantages of these two procedures.
What Is a Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction is a surgical technique to remove excess skin, fat, and glandular tissue from the breasts, eliminating the problems linked to breasts that are larger and heavier than you would like. Women often experience discomfort associated with the heaviness of having large breasts, and breast reduction surgery has been shown to alleviate back, shoulder, and neck pain. In many cases, a breast reduction can also reduce the size of overly-prominent areolas.
What Is a Breast Lift?
Breast lift surgery, medically known as a mastopexy, creates a more youthful silhouette by repositioning the breasts to sit higher on the chest. This procedure can reverse the effects of age, pregnancy, weight changes, and breastfeeding by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour. The breast lift surgery is customized to your body shape and size to eliminate sagging and re-proportion the chest.
While breast lift surgery creates firmer and perkier breasts, it will not significantly alter breast volume, as Dr. Anous will remove little, if any, breast tissue.
Advantages of These Procedures
Though these two surgeries differ in terms of technique and outcome, they share several common benefits.
- Both procedures have a long track record of safety and result in instantly noticeable results.
- These surgeries can help improve your appearance, posture, and self-confidence.
- Neither procedure will inhibit your ability to breastfeed in the future.
- Anous has the experience to ensure any scars resulting from these surgeries are small and placed in discreet areas.
Should I Get a Breast Reduction or a Breast Lift?
The first step in deciding which of these surgeries is better for you is to pinpoint what you would like to improve about your breasts. For example, are you more concerned about the size and weight of your breasts or the position of your bustline?
If you answer “yes” to most or all of the questions below, a breast reduction might be the right surgery for you.
- Are your breasts out of proportion with your body type?
- Do you feel like your breasts are too heavy?
- Have your breasts affected your posture?
- Do your breasts make your neck, shoulders, or back hurt?
- After you take off a bra, do you notice grooves or depressions created by your bra straps?
- Do your breasts make physical activity uncomfortable?
- Have you ever been embarrassed about the size of your breasts in social situations?
- Are there specific clothing styles you would like to wear, but can’t because your breasts are too large?
Meanwhile, if you answer “yes” to some or all of the following questions, you could be an excellent candidate for breast lift surgery.
- Do your nipples point downward or hang below your breast creases?
- If you put a small object such as a pen in the crease of your breasts, does it stay in place?
- Are you unhappy with your breast silhouette?
- Is the skin around your breasts loose and sagging?
- Do you often get a rash or skin irritation under or between your breasts?
Breast Lift With Breast Reduction
Some women with larger breasts may experience problems with both the size and the position of their breasts. If this is the case for you, you may benefit most from a customized treatment plan that combines the tissue removal of a breast reduction and the repositioning benefits of a breast lift.
If you are looking for a way to improve your breasts, but do not wish to add volume, you have options to consider. Dr. Maher Anous can help you decide how to proceed after evaluating your breasts and discussing all your concerns in a one-on-one appointment. As one of Beverly Hills’ leading cosmetic surgeons, Dr. Anous has made breast procedures one of the focal points of his practice. He prioritizes patient safety and satisfaction with every surgery, and his patients benefit from his consummate professionalism. Contact Anous Plastic Surgery today to schedule your personal consultation.